This week I finally gave up on hoping Netflix would send me Precious, and I Red-box-ed it. And holy hannah, my soul loves this movie. It was perfect. Now, to forewarn ya'll in case you are thinking of watching it, you will here the "f" word dropped in ways that you could have never imagined...and let's just say, the movie is so real that it hurts. But I loved it...so, so much. Gabourey Sidibe was insanely awesome and was the perfect person to portray Precious. And the scene where Precious finds out that she has HIV, oh wow, this girl should have won the Oscar. It was one of the most real movie scenes I've seen in a long time. I can still hear her in my head: "Nobody loves me!" and then Ms. Rain responding "Precious, your son loves you. I love you." And Mo'nique was so sinister and twisted, it was crazy. There is this particular scene where Precious comes home after giving birth to her son, and Mo'nique snaps and oh, holy hannah, it is insane. However, after watching the movie I understood why Sidibe and the movie did not win their respective Oscars. Precious isn't a movie that will make you feel good in the white-guilt way The Blind Side will....Precious is going to make you realize that the world is pretty screwed up in an extremely raw, realistic way. You are going to see the most horrifying parts of humanity. You are going to agree with Precious's journal entry "Why me?" The heartbreak and failed dreams of Precious are almost unbearable. Yet, the reason I love this movie and this story is because despite the incredible evil in the world, and everything up against Precious, she finds hope and she finds love. And if she can, the rest of us can too. Oh tenderness, I want to curl up and cry right now."Some folks has a lot of things around them that shines for other peoples. I think maybe some of them was in tunnels. And in that tunnel, the only light they had, was inside of them. And then long after they escape that tunnel, they still be shining for everybody else."
- Clareece Precious Jones
1 comment:
just hearing your description makes me want to curl up and cry too. That sounds very tender. I wish she won the Oscar too. I was kind of expecting her too, actually. But I am glad that she was nominated. As her first production, it is incredible that she was nominated. I hope she wins something in the future though, because she sounds amazing. I'm glad you finally got to see it.
Post a Comment