Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hobbit Day

In case you are unaware, today is Hobbit Day. September 22nd was chosen as the day to celebrate the hobbit-folk due to it also being both Bilbo and Frodo Baggins' birthday.

Oh, and concerning hobbits...
Gandalf said, "My dear Frodo. Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you."

Whenever I think about the amazing creatures which are hobbits, I think of one of the last scenes in Return of the King movie, when all those gathered at Minas Tirith bowed to the hobbits. It always make me cry a bit. You see, it was foretold in ages before the War of the Ring that Sauron would only be defeated by those that were perceived to be weak and insignificant. Sauron underestimated the strength, courage, and endurance of the halflings. It was truly only Mithrandir, who was known as Gandalf in Middle-Earth, that sensed the true power among the hobbits.

Somedays I feel like I need to be more like a hobbit. I am not big or strong or smart, I don't amount to much in the world...but I think I underestimate my own strength and the influence for good I can have in the world.

Anyways, Happy Hobbit Day friends...

1 comment:

Stacie Lou said...

Oh tenderness. I love that part of the movie. I definitely cry. And I like what you said about hte book and fortelling the fall of the ring by someone perceived as insignificant. Extra tenderness.