Have you ever been to a big family get together and you end up at the kids table? Despite clearly being an adult. Despite younger married siblings sitting with the adults. Sometimes I feel like that is my current place in my family figuratively speaking. It is somewhat reminiscient of Pride and Prejudice, when Lydia runs away with Wickham, returns home and tells her oldest sister Jane that "Now I walk in front." (I'm gay just for knowing that.)
I guess I have been thinking about it this week since we drew names for the family gift giving. (Which is basically a system in place in my family where each of the nine siblings, and respective families, is assigned to give a gift to a particular sibling's family...so that you don't have to feel obligated to give something to all nine kids, their spouses, and their kids.) And as I was posting the assignments, I couldn't help but see the awkwardness in that I am surrounded on the list by married folk.
Same with the family newsletter, which is basically a blog that is updated every week with what is up with the Haws family. Andy, Jeff, Julie, and Stacie's families all have an individual section. And I am lumped in with the wee little chickities. I understand that this partly is my fault for being under the same roof currently with them. (Which is a whole other story that isn't fitting for a public blog.)
However, and this is a big "however", I am not sure how different this would be if I wasn't in the same house. Which brings me to my Sex and the City clip...
I may not have shoes being shamed, but it does feel like much of my life is shamed in the same way...
Now, I am not saying that I am banished from the family for my life choices...but I have been shelved in the kids' table so to speak. What would happen if I decided to take off and go to a friend or a boyfriend's house for Christmas? It would be uproar. What if I demanded my own little section for the family newsletter where I catalogued my weeks' activities? It probably would seem odd to the rest of the family and I would seem a bit self-centered. And what if I wanted a phone call every such and such date because that is when I made a life decision, that was not a child's birth or my anniversary, but I wanted my world to celebrate it with me? Yeah, it would be funny.
Furthermore, there are general assumptions made just because I am single. The family would suspect the worst if I didn't come home from work one night. It causes tension when I skip church. I get asked how I can possibly watch America's Next Top Model when it is apparently "shallow and materialistic". (I never hear the entertainment and recreation choices of married siblings and their spouses being critiqued.) And there is no interest in my past, present, or future relationships since they have not and will not result in a heterosexual marriage, from which new Haws chickities would be birthed. So yeah, it is a bit hard not to feel some shame in my life choices.
That is where I am at with my family. Of my nine siblings, I only expect two to accept any sort of romantic partner I have and I am still unsure where each of my parents will stand. Thus, even if I formally join the ranks of the married children, I will still be second-class. I doubt that my daily activities mean much to anyone other than Stacie and Mom. And in general, I am seeing that I eternally am bound to sitting at the kids table at Thanksgiving. (Figuratively speaking.)
And I am trying to decide whether I am okay with that, or if I am pissed off...
5 comments:
I'll sit at the kids' table with you! Somehow I could see us having more fun than anyone else anyway....
ok that was my comment and I can't leave that to be anonymous....
"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections."
I like that quote. Other people will always find reasons to dislike how you live your life. It's not their choices; they don't understand every thing that brings you to one decision or another. Things will never be absolutely perfect because there will always be some unwise person judging how you choose to live life. Live life anyway. :-)
I say, do what you can to not let it bother you. If you want your own section in the family newsletter, ask for it! What are they going to say? No. You're a chickity because you are unwed? There's no use in letting it bother you.
Be happy, Brother. You are the best. You don't need a lover to qualify as awesome. :-)
I'll call you on special occasions even if it isn't a childs birthday or anniversary. Name the date. :)
PS, you rock. We miss you. Come visit.
Good post! It does get lonely at times. But, and it's a big but! IT IS WORTH EVERYTHING, just to be yourself! Often those closest to us don't even realize what asses they are being! Take some serious heed to what Stacie had to say, that girl has a good head on her shoulders! You're lucky to have her as one of the nine! And as a side note: You Are Loved! :)
P.S. I find myself at the kids table regularly, to be honest it's where I choose to be. They are so much more loving and accepting of Rich than is the Adult Table. So I'm honored to sit amongst Gods elite before they become corrupted by a few at the adult table!
Post a Comment