Saturday, February 19, 2011

Wisconsin is a Mess

So I am in Wisconsin... and this Walker-teacher-budget-union thing is going down. Here are my thoughts:

- None of this is about the budget. None of it. What it is about is breaking up unions in Wisconsin. Wisconsin government is currently in the hands of Republicans, which is fine since they were voted in that way, but saying this is all about managing budget is a big fat lie. Own up to it Republicans, you want to break up unions.

- I believe in unions. I am not part of one, nor is anyone at the organization I work for. However, I believe that they in general are a good thing. And effectively stripping away bargaining rights for a union is preposterous. Employees have the right to bargain for better working conditions, benefits, wages, etc. Unions are meant to protect the little guy when government will not.

- There is a whole lot of hateful sentiment towards public workers (mostly teachers around here) and the Democrats in Madison for walking out and protesting. Uh, that is called civil disobedience. And as an American, I respect civil disobedience.

- Amidst all this, shouldn't Walker, as governor, be pulling together some sort of compromise? You know, as leader of the state? It seems like the unions have right to worry that Walker has no interest in what's best for the state or its citizens and have a party checklist to attend to.

- And a final note, reports are that Tea Party folk are planning counter protests (just what I need, more crazy rednecks) here in Wisconsin. Here is an irony. The Tea Party was an act of civil disobedience. A minority (the American Colonies) felt that they were being unfairly taxed without the opportunity to be represented (and thus, bargain) and hence, revolted and ended up throwing tea into the ocean. So the Tea Party is going to come here and be upset that people are trying to protect themselves from the government in a civil and non-violent way. Sure, Walker is talking cutting benefits, not raising taxes... but it's basically the same effect. And in the process he is taking away the rights of the little guy to bargain and be represented. Hmmm....so much irony. But mostly it just proves once again that the Tea Party isn't based on any sort of logic.

1 comment:

Kevin Jackson said...

Your governor just gave Walmart a tax break to the amount of 10 million dollars over the budget hole he is claiming to try to fix.

Easy enough solution.