Last night I watched The Black Swan. And let me start out by saying that I knew I was going to love it before I even saw it. Natalie Portman is one of my most favorite senoritas of all time...she can do know wrong. (Star Wars is George Lucas' fault.) The fact that she received an Oscar for her performance only fueled my desire to see the film.Now let me also remind potential viewers that the movie is definitely abrasive to some viewers. It deals with sexuality and mental sanity in ways that may make you squirm.
But folks, I loved this film. So freakin' much. Perhaps because I am a bit too much like Natalie Portman's "White Swan" character. I am a perfectionist, and even when I allow myself imperfection...I want it to be perfectly imperfect. One of the things that I kept thinking about throughout the film is how much more beautiful imperfections are. Portman's conflict in this film is letting go, so that she can embody the "Black Swan" in the ballet. Like Nina, I am too good perhaps at dancing the White Swan, and need to lose myself so that I can allow my inner Black Swan out.
"The only person standing in your way is you. It's time to let her go. Lose yourself."
No comments:
Post a Comment