Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I'm Only a Man

It may seem 2005 cheesey...but I love this song. I began loving it in 2008 when I left my really good gig at a hotel at the drop of a hat because it was making me so unhappy. And I have listened to it a couple dozen times this week.

I am trying to accept that I can be imperfect. I can make mistakes. I can have failings. And I also am allowed to enjoy my life. Both extremes seem equally impossible for me sometimes. I remember one time in high school when I accidentally set off the school building's alarmed when I was at play rehearsal too early and was checking the back door to see if it was open. (I went to a very small private school.) The cops came. It was a big to-do. And later Mr. Humboldt, the drama teacher, was talking to me about it and he kept repeating "You aren't perfect" like it was a new realization. That's the tone of voice I spend so much time and effort avoiding. I have always wanted to deceive people into believing I was perfect.

Guess what bitches. I'm not perfect. But I think I need to remind that guy in the mirror more than I need to remind ya'll. And remind him that it is okay for ya'll to see it.

6 comments:

Stacie Lou said...

I kind of love this post because the concept of being imperfect is fascinating to me. I don't want to be go off on a philisophical tangent, but I do think that imperfection is the point of humanity. We are supposed to learn to grow from imperfections, to accept them and to love them.

Since ANTM is the center of my existence, I'm going to dare to make this reference. But think of how Tyra talks about how pretty pretty doesn't equal beauty in the modeling world. Some of the most beautiful people are the ones with odd faces, body types or attributes.

So..yeah...I love it.

Carolyn said...

I love this. I sometimes get frustrated because I'm not better at something and then I remember...it's okay! If I was perfect, I wouldn't have a purpose-to grow and to become better.

When my kids mess up, by talking out or throwing chairs, I remind them that we aren't perfect. And we all have struggles and things that we are working on. And that is a great thing. They always nod after I remind them and seem happy to know that everyone has imperfections.

PS...come visit. :)

Miss Nesbit said...

Agreed. I've very much a perfectionist, so it's hard for me to realize that too. Great post!

I also liked Stacie's comment and her ANTM reference. :)

Kiley said...

That whole album is great, but that song in particular is very powerful.

Kiley said...

Letting go of perfectionistic tendencies will make your life better. It is something that I struggle with a lot but I immediately became more comfortable in my own skin the moment that I really did start to feel that I was ok the way that I was and that making mistakes was alright.

I used to do a lot of training and I would get these people who would come in very afraid of messing up on the job. I used to tell them, "You can't make a mistake big enough that we can't fix it." I think that is generally true for life too.

Lisa said...

I once told someone close how this song reminded me of myself. When they listened to it they said they were surprised I felt that way.

We hide things from people and we have our reasons.

When I read this post, I was shocked to hear you say something I've thought about my own self before!!