Friday, December 30, 2011

The 100 Thing Challenge

I have several resolutions for 2012, some of which I will post later, but one of the projects that I am super excited about is "The 100 Thing Challenge". The goal is to only own one hundred things. I am already somewhat of a minimalist. Already I only own 176 things. That's counting every pair of socks, my toothbrush, my car, etc. I consider myself an anti-hoarder. I freak out if I have so many things they wouldn't fit in my car's trunk.

I started the project a couple of months ago. First, I went through every item I owned and asked myself "When  was the last time I used this?" and "Why am I holding on to this" I had a closet full of shirts I used to wear to work, but now I am blessed with a job where I wear a t-shirt and jeans...so they went to Goodwill.   And so went the rest of the process.

Tough part: I had an assortment of books that I read once and then they sat on the bookshelf. So I decided which ones could be put into the family library, which ones to give to friends, and then which ones would go to Goodwill. Most ended up at Goodwill. I am now going to get a library card. My favorite books and cookbooks are now on the shelves here at my parents' house, free to be used by anyone, but no longer "mine". It's kind of cheating, but the idea is to not "own" much.


(Don't worry if you gave me a Christmas gift. I haven't gotten rid of any of them. At worst, they are communal family property and I am sharing them with others.)

And that is an important point if you are doing this and you are in a family. The goal is to own less, so if you can put it to communal use, go for it. But don't say it is everyone's if you will still be mentally holding on to it. Also, not everyone is in the situation where they could own only 100 things, with the need for dishes, furniture, etc. But look around your house. How much are you holding on to that you don't need? How often do you go shopping and buy more "stuff"? Would you feel lost as a person if you lost all your possessions in a fire?

Now I am getting into a tougher area where every item I own is important to me. But I have to ask myself, how many pairs of jeans do I really need? I have four jackets....that's four jackets more than other people.

Already though, I am feeling more free from the attraction to buy stuff and let my things own me. As I have gone on it has become easier and easier to discard the possessions I used to think defined me. I am anxiously excited for the rest of the process.

Anyone else want to join me in the 100 Thing Challenge?

2 comments:

Kiley said...

I want to be a minimalist... (Really I just want a tiny house and nothing more than can fit in it.) I have more than 100 books alone though. The whole minimalist thing might be the only thing that converts me to the nook or kindle...

Good luck with your goal. I'm not there this year, but maybe next year.

Stacie Lou said...

That is pretty cool. I like the freedom you feel from purchasing more stuff. Plus it helps you realize why you really love the things you do hold on to.