Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Signs A Ghost is Present

This has been a topic of conversation quite frequently in my world. I have more than the usual number of ghost/supernatural experiences compared to your standard dude. And I have known more than my fair share of those in tune with the "other realm". So here is my sage wisdom on signs a ghost may be present.

- A feeling of being watched. You know that funky feeling when you are in the middle of a crowd and you realize someone is looking at you, and you felt their eyes before you saw who it was? It is like that. But you don't see anyone usually. You just feel a presence. If you have had enough experiences with ghosts, you get better at noticing the feeling, navigating it, and detecting the source. Usually within a few moments in a space I can tell if I am alone... and if I'm not. Thank you insanely haunted Denver apartment.

- Cold spots. The Sixth Sense got this right, but they never explained why. For spirits to manifest themselves, it requires energy, and thus, cold spots are noted in a ghost haunting. Reminder: Keep an skeptical eye. That cold spot is probably a draft. Oddly enough, I don't experience cold spots. I am by nature a very warm person, so much so that I will have my window open and fan going in the dead of winter. But from what I hear, cold spots are legitimate.

- Animal behavior. Animals see and sense things we don't. My dog can hear someone pulling into the driveway and be at the door while the rest of us don't know someone is there until they knock. And on numerous occasions I have seen and heard of animals giving indication that you are not alone. A few times something has been present and my dog has gotten squeamish and will not want to leave my side for some reason. Or she barks at nothing. Obviously, she is a dog, may just be dumb, and is barking at dust particles... but sometimes they coincide with other strange events.

- Photographic evidence. I haven't messed around with this one for years. The theory is that sometimes a camera will pick up something you don't see with your normal eyes. You'll see a shadow or an orb. The key is to analyze possible causes of the phenomena when caught on camera. Double exposure on the flash? Was the flash on? Was furniture casting a shadow? I stopped trying photographic evidence in 2008 when I caught a definitively-human shaped shadow in my apartment on camera. Nothing could explain it and the location of the coincided with where things happened in the apartment. Freaky stuff.

- Objects moving/ Lights turning on and off/ That stuff. Okay, with this, you have got to be smart and not jump to conclusions. A door opens on its own? Was there a draft? Is the latch secure? The lamp flickers? Is it old? Is the wire tangled? You have to basically run through all the possible causes, since they are far more likely. The best tool is to write down when strange things happen. That way you can start troubleshoot other, more likely causes. But remember: A ghost wants you to know it is there. It will manifest itself in order to draw your attention.

- Noises. Like the above point, be careful not to jump to conclusions. During my days at the haunted Denver apartment, I kept track of the noises and figured out which ones were normal ones from people in the surrounding apartments... and which ones weren't. Or at my house my siblings get freaked out by clunking sound that the water pump makes when it turns on in the basement.

Keep in mind:

- Ghosts and spirits are around you all of the time anyways, so don't get too freaked out. They are there right now, ya'll just ain't on the same existence frequency.

- Most legitimate ghosts aren't trying to "getchya". Many don't even realize they are dead. (Mann Road ghost here in Marshfield.)

- There is a difference between ghosts and shadow people and demons and everything else. Each is unique, but gets clumped into one idea. Trust me, they are different.


- Don't try to "contact" ghosts, especially when you don't have experience with this sort of thing. You may contact something other than a friendly ghost. They will say they are friendly of course, because no creeper says they are a creeper. Ouiji boards won't bring you anything but low-level demonic-type ghosts.

- Document. Keep notes if things are weird. It may help you develop an understanding of the haunting. I know a lady that keeps track of lunar cycles when studying a haunting.

- Go with your gut. Your first instinct about a haunting is usually the most likely to be correct. If you feel it is a child, it usually is. You think it is a woman, it usually is. Trust your instinct on it.

No comments: