Monday, July 2, 2012

Return to the Wild, Wild West

I am so excited! I am so excited Uncle Ben! (Mormon Movie Reference) Just about two weeks from now I will be flying into New Mexico. Stacie, Kevin, and baby Henry live there. And Carolyn, Brent, and baby Claire will be visiting from Utah. It is going to be so lovely. Ya'll have no idea. I will be there for a week and a half and I am so excited to spend time with these f*ckers that I love so much. Uncle Grant misses these folks.
 But wait...there's more. I am excited for the trip also because I will be returning to the Wild Wild West, my true home. Wisconsin is great and all, but it just isn't the same. Here's why:
The trees are different in the West. I always feel like trees out there have to work harder. When you see an obscenely tall tree out there, you know that it has been through some wild stuff.
Cactus: I know it is prickly, but I kind of miss it. Especially because it looks like a bunch of dudes dancing.
Sagebrush: This shrub really makes me feel like I am out West.
The sky is different there. Bluer. Bigger, deeper.
I get to where my sunglasses and go for walks.
True story: 75% of the time when I go for a walk along a road in Wisconsin someone, well-meaning, pulls over and asks if I need a ride because they assume my car broke down. Why else would I be walking? Nope, just walking for the hell of it. But in New Mexico they have actual pedestrian paths... it is magic.
SANTA FE!!! Stacie has informed me that we are taking the train to Santa Fe, which is Lifetime Bucket List Material. It shall be grand.
The Baroque: This area down along the Rio Grande where there are a bunch of trees, dusty trails, and birds that have migrated to warmer climates. It is like Desert Ferngully.
Mountains Gandalf! Mountains! And not mole hills like "Rib Mountain" in Wisconsin. Legitimate, cougar-infested mountains. Oh how I love them. I was never meant for this silly flat land in Wisconsin.

1 comment:

Stacie Lou said...

It is so close! This is going to be legend-waitforit-dary!