Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Hunger Games

I had mixed feelings about whether I would end up seeing The Hunger Games or not. I had heard the basic synopsis of the story and I wasn't really in the mood to watch teens killing other teens. That's kind of what happens in the news, so why bother paying to see a movie of it? But I was interested in the social commentary of it all and so this week I caved and watched it.

My friends. No. Just no.

First of all, the fact that this movie was rated PG-13 shows the ridiculousness of our rating system. Showing a twelve year old getting speared in the chest is rated R  territory. But, for box office reasons, it was rated PG-13. Need to make sure kids are able to PAY and get in to see it. When Mormon people rant about me watching certain rated R movies, I shall point to this movie as evidence of why a letter of the law approach to viewing movies is flawed. Can a seventeen year old handle the movie? Yes. Should a thirteen year old see it? Nope. It should have been rated R.

Second, nice social commentary: Violence for entertainment is bad, so what is the movie ... violence for entertainment. Like I said, I knew the synopsis, but I didn't think they would show kids getting massacred. And the times when the social commentary could have been pushed forward into the limelight a bit, it kind of failed. The movie wasn't about making a statement. It was about making some money, and creating the next trilogy of teen flicks.

I think there were bits of the movie that got you thinking, like the "sponsor" thing - needing to put on a good show so viewers will like you. I think that is an interesting issue in our world now where teens think they need to be Kardashian famous, with a certain number of "likes" for their current Facebook status. Kids need to be kids, not reality stars.

Or the concept of "hope" being such a powerful emotion and a motivator for the oppressed. I feel like it was just glossed over. The film could have totally taken that idea and ran with it. There are other movies I have seen where yes, there was violence, but the message of hope was so powerful I didn't come away disgusted.

Maybe I am just a Bitter Betty because I didn't like the movie, so I am finding all the flaws in it. But friends, this is a movie and a franchise worth skipping. If you are interested in the story, I hear the books were better.

No comments: