Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Favorite Things: January 2013 Edition

- Soup. I know. Novel thought. But due to the frigid Wisconsin weather I have been searching for new soup recipes and glorying in good soup wherever I can find it. Last night I made Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup...which is amazing. And I want to learn to make clam chowder from scratch. My great lament is that there isn't a good place in Marshfield to get soup. When I lived in Utah, I would go to Zupas a lot and they had this miraculous lobster bisque. And in Colorado you could get good Buffalo Chili from the Whole Foods. No such wonder here. Anyone in Marshfield know a good place a guy can get some soup? My only thought is to see if this sandwich place The Daily Grind has real soup.

- "Scream and Shout" by Will.i.am. and Britney Spears. I know there isn't a lot to the song. But I adore it. Maybe because they incorporated "It's Britney bitch" which is a phrase every gay boy knows and loves.

- Hating on the CW for creating The Carrie Diaries, a spin off of Sex and the City. Here's why: 1) Half the fun was that Carrie was talking to a mature audience. I doubt teabagging and golden showers and funky-tasting spunk will be addressed by the CW. Also, it was fun because Carrie had been around the block or two, and now she was just scratching the surface of love. Ugh, eighteen year olds know NOTHING of love. And 2) Sex and the City was successful because of a once-in-a-lifetime combination of cast. You can't just recreate the SATC foursome. Charlotte, Samantha, and Miranda were just as important as Carrie. Especially Samantha. Plus Anna Sophia Robb lacks the horse-face magic of Sarah Jessica Parker.

So suck it, CW. I am not watching your stupid spin-off. I hope you don't last a single season. Ugh. But I love hating on it.

- Pitch Perfect. It's like Mean Girls meets Bridesmaids meets Glee. I can't decide if Lilly or Fat Amy is my favorite character though.

- This article from TechCrunch: "10 Reasons Why 2013 Will Be The Year You Quit Your Job" It's like everyone is waking up and realizes how true Fight Club is. We are literally polishing the brass on the Titanic.

No comments: