Monday, March 29, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife

It's no secret that I lust Eric Bana. And since Mean Girls, Rachel McAdams and I have been platonic lovers. So I am surprised that I didn't go see The Time-Traveler's Wife immediately when it came out. I think I was holding out, planning on reading the book, and then it was out of theatres. But then my friend Shari told me that Eric Bana loses his clothes when he time travels, and suddenly the movie was at the top of my Netflix queue.

So here's the basic story: Eric Bana has a genetic anomaly that causes him to time travel to significant times of his life, with no control of it on his own. Although he has tried, he is unable to change the events of his life and he cannot control when he journeys to, both going forward and backward in time. Rachel McAdams has known Eric Bana's character her entire life since he would often time-travel to her childhood. So when Rachel McAdams meets the present day Eric Bana she has already fallen in love with him and although Eric Bana has yet to travel to her life in his present consciousness, he falls in love with her. The story continues as they try to have a child together and through to a point where Eric Bana's character realizes that he may die soon.

The movie was incredibly tender. It was all about loving a whole person, from who they are when you met them, to who they were before, and who they will someday be. And how love can transcend time and place. The final scene made me want to curl up and cry, like after Moulin Rouge where you just want to be in love.

Oh, and you totally get to see a lot of Eric Bana skin...so even if the rest of the movie does not delight you, a nakey Eric Bana should make viewing it worth it.

No comments: