Thursday, August 12, 2010

True Blood

My friends, I have a new TV show to be addicted to: True Blood. I started watching it after complaining to my friends Kariann and Calley about how I am starving for good TV since 30 Rock, America's Next Top Model, and The Biggest Loser are all currently on summer hiatus. My apprehension was that every network right now has a vampire show and most look as pathetically cheesy as Twilight. But HBO, the makers of Sex and the City, produced the show...so I figured if anyone could get vampires right, it's HBO.

And of my freakin' gosh, this show is awesome. I watched the entire first season this week. The second season is set to start arriving on Saturday via Netflix. But once I am done with that I am going to have to find a way to start watching Season 3.

Here is why True Blood is amazing.
- Twilight effectively chopped the balls off of vampires. Seriously. No sexual tension, no menacing evil. Just sparkly vampires that feel bad drinking blood. True Blood follows the vampire legends and when it deviates, they explain why.
- I saw New Moon sadly. And it also diluted the vampire society that seems an important component of an vampire story. True Blood has legitimate Vampire Laws and Vampires Codes of Conduct. Thank you HBO for rebuilding what Stephanie Meyer f*cked up.
- The romances make a whole heap of sense...there is turmoil, angst, longing...and no cliched teenage Taylor Swift-meets-Twilight misunderstanding of what love is.
- The whole cast is pretty insanely hot. I must say if I was straight, Anna Paquin would be my latest crush.
- However, since I'm not straight...Alexander Skarsgaard (pictured below). Holy hotness.

No comments: