Friday, August 6, 2010

The True Sign of Fall in Wisconsin

This week the folks here in Marshfield witnessed the true sign that summer is coming to an end and fall is approaching. Yes, my friends, Menard's, which is a store like Home Depot or Lowe's, has now put up on display its hunting towers out front. To be honest, these things always kind of freak me out. Everytime I see one I expect sniper fire followed by Sarah Palin's head popping up over the side ranting "Gotcha Liberal Socialist!" And seeing them going up has me regretting watching The Road, which is all about weird hillbilly cannibals hunting people in a post-apocalyptic world.

The effect of an approaching hunting season was amplified by a hunting/trapping convention that was held this week in Marshfield. Let me tell you what, I've never seen so many gun-crazy hillbillies outside a Tea Party Convention. And although I don't think any small game hunting is allowed for another four or five weeks, we heard gunshots in the marsh all yesterday.

Damn rednecks.
Above: Sarah Palin's local offices.

4 comments:

Stacie Lou said...

I hate hunting season! The deer freak out and run in the road more often, plus you usually see a lot more dead things in people's cars. Ick. I'm glad I'm missing it! Good luck out there, Liberal Socialist.

Grant Kellie said...

That is true Comrade (that's what Liberal Socialists call eachother, right?) The dead corpses of wild beasts always freak me out. It's about the only time of the year where I consider giving up carnivore-ing.

Rich said...

Is this a picture of what a Gay WI lumberjack looks like? If so I wouldn't continue to describe yourself as one people might get the wrong idea?

Grant Kellie said...

Some days I feel like how that guy looks. ;)