Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lent 2011

- I am going to give up my scale. I am OCD in a weird way about weight. I like to think of myself as a one-pound-yo-yo dieter. I weigh myself every morning. And if I lost even the tiniest amount of weight from the day before I freak out and worry that I am a lanky, lurpy gangle creature. All day I am hating that I am in such a scrawny little body. And then the next day I weigh myself and if I weigh more than the day before, however so slightly, I freak out and think I am on my way to being cast on The Biggest Loser. I look in the mirror and yesterday's gangle creature is now morbidly obese. All because of negligible change in weight. And all this should be null and void because other than a brief stint of health issues when I was 19, I have almost always been within ten pounds of what I weighed when I graduated high school almost ten years ago. So yeah, I should stop freaking out about whatever I weigh on a daily basis because A) it doesn't ever change that much, and B) even if it did, it's not as big a deal as I make it out to be.

So that is goal #1. Put away my scale. (Actually scales, I own a second secret one in case I need to verify what the first one said.) And worry less about whatever that number may be.

- One random Wikipedia article a day. Here's the deal. This evening my dad showed me how to replace my air filter on my car. I have not the slightest idea what the hell an air filter does, well, besides filtering air. I don't know what happens if it doesn't get replaced. I don't know how it works. Nada. And that got me thinking how since I stopped going to college six years ago, I have only worked to learn something if it was work-related. I rarely sit down a read about random stuff in my life that would be good to know. After all, I usually have the guy at the oil change place replace the air filter. I allow myself to be ignorant. So for the next 40 days I am going to find one thing a day that I flat out don't know. And I am going to read about it so in 40 days I will be marginally more knowledgeable/street smart.

2 comments:

Stacie Lou said...

I like your plan. Scales are mean. Our scale always says I'm five pounds lighter than I am. It makes me feel good until I get on a different scale. Pooper.

Also, I like your plan to learn more. That is a smart idea. I always get mad when I realize that Kevin knows some everyday thing that I don't know like how to clean or cook something (yes, I am trying to be a gender stereotype). So I think that is a smart idea!

Miss Nesbit said...

The wikipedia thing is very cool! I love that idea.

Also, I am not a fan of scales either.

Good luck! I know you can do it!!!