Monday, March 7, 2011

What to Give Up For Lent

Let me start with a disclaimer that I do not believe that your eternal salvation and life-long joy and happiness are contingent upon participating in Lent. I doubt the Big Guy in the Sky is having a tally sheet to track who did and didn't participate.

That be saying, I love Lent...but for no actual doctrinal reasons. I think though that it is a great time of the year, in the spring when the world is being reborn, to shed some bad habits or some things we assume are necessary and see a side of ourselves free of the excess. Perhaps rebirthing a part of ourselves. And even if it is a overly-dramatized religious shenanigan, I like the idea of it when all the bogus doctrinal stuff is stripped away.

In previous years I've tried a whole heap of different stuff: Itunes, candy, caffeine, TV, etc. Some have been good experiences and some have lasted until the end of the first week. My goal this year was to find two or three aspects of my life I want to improve or enhance...and then to target three guilty pleasures that prevent them me from being happier. Ideally related to 1) body/health, 2) relationships, and 3) money.

Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday and I haven't yet decided what it's going to be...but I better decide quick because I gotta live up tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know...

2 comments:

Kiley said...

You beat me to it! I am working on a Lent post too. I also have not decided for sure what I am giving up. Its the first time I have done Lent.

Good luck choosing!

Kiley said...

ALSO - I really like the blog re-design! This font is actually one of my favorite fonts.