Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Best July Ever

Okay, that was a misleading blog post title. It makes it sound like I just had a month of frivolity and frolicking through wildflower fields and giggling. It was lovely but it wasn't quite like that. In case you have forgotten, here's the post about July, why it usually sucks, and what I decided to do about it a few weeks ago.

A synopsis:
It was pretty decent. I didn't kill any of the kids for being out of school, I hid from the heat, I read a lot, and I started a new job. No emo melt-down like usual.

However, let's be honest, I am glad it is just about over. Because damn it, I am excited for August.

Why?

- The constant eyeing up trees, looking for the first sign the leaves are changing color. Last year it came the third week of August. Early fall here always just suddenly shows up and you realize the bugs are leaving, the wind is chilly, and summer is gone.

- My sunflowers are blooming and I have 15-20 pumpkins growing in the garden. I love how pumpkins can just kind of take off. One day you have this pathetic golf-ball sized pumpkin, you wait a week, and suddenly it is like a basketball.

- My Netflix summer project is winding down and I am glad I did it. Barb, Sigourney, Bette, and Cher are now some of my dearest senoritas! I also am in this complacent stage of the project where I don't feel rushed to see every movie left, now I am just going to watch what I want.

- Books to read: Finish The Hobbit, then Pride and Prejudice, then the Cleopatra biography.

- The family will be on vacation!

- School is almost here. And now I get to constantly remind the kids a countdown that isn't so high it seems ridiculous. It's the most wonderful time of the year.

So hooray for a decent July, and hooray for an awesome August!