his week I began reading The Hobbit, which I decided will now be a late summer tradition. And by the end of the first chapter I am reminded why I adore this book so much. Not just J.R.R. Tolkien and Middle-Earth, but this book especially. The Hobbit is like sampling at Costco on Saturdays. You don't have to commit to becoming a Tolkien nerd and learning Elvish. All you do is enjoy the adventure. You get bits of Tolkien's expansive depth to Middle Earth, a taste of the song that is key to the storytelling, and if you are paying attention you understand how The Hobbit really is a prologue to Lord of the Rings...a sort of foreboding of clouds on the horizon. All within about 200 pages. No epic novel, just a fun read that will let you know what you're in for if you dig a little deeper into Tolkien's stories of Middle-Earth.So read it bitches.
No comments:
Post a Comment