1. The Muppet Christmas Carol: Hands down, the best Christmas movie in the world. How can you not be giddy with Christmas joy after watching this movie? "One More Sleep 'Til Christmas" is also quite possibly one of my favorite Christmas songs. And Michael Caine is the best Ebenezer Scrooge ever.2. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas: This from a guy that hates Jim Carrey. I love this movie because a combination of the music, imagery, and the way I find something new and funny in it every time I watch it. Also, I want Anthony Hopkins to narrate my life.
3. A Christmas Story: By some horrible twist of fate, I never saw this movie until I was like twenty years old. Horrifying, right? The first scene I ever saw was where Ralphie is daydreaming of the teacher reading his essay. Hilarious. I love the whole thing though. So magical.
4. The Nativity Story: I recommend this movie to people a lot, which is saying something from a very non-religious guy. I love it because it seems more realistic than most movies about Jesus's birth. Mary is young, and actually looks Jewish. (Rather than the usual Mary's in these movies that look 30 years old and like they came from Norway, not the Middle East.) Furthermore, the whole movie feels more sincere. From the political climate of the time, to the anxiety of Mary, to the decision of Joseph. It is actually tender, rather than the usual cheesy manger movies.5. Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer: 1962 Claymation magic. Enough said.
6. Jaws: Not kidding. This movie always seemed to be on at Grandma Winnie's house at Christmas time. Hence, it is considered a holiday movie to me. Nothing puts you in the Yuletide mood than a 50 feet fish eating children.
7. The Family Stone: First confession, Sarah Jessica Parker is a dear love of mine. Second, I love the interweaving family storylines of this movie. It is just fun and endearing and doesn't try to be something its not.
8. Santa Claus: The Movie: Actually, I only like the first twenty minutes or so when you see how Santa Claus came to be. Otherwise, I kind of hate the movie. John Lithgow should have stuck to sasquatch films. But the beginning is magic.
9. Elf: I can't watch this movie and not laugh. It is a good giggle.
10. Love Actually: I didn't see this film until last week actually...but I adored it. I am officially giving it recognition as one of my favorite Christmas movies.
Movies on the agenda to see this week before Christmas: Rare Exports and Scrooged

2 comments:
Oh goodness me, I love Christmas movies. We now own Muppet Christmas Carol, Elf, The Grinch and A Christmas Story. All awesome.
But I feel like Home Alone should be added to your list. I like that movie.
UMMM I agree with Number 1 whole-heartedly! I LOVE THAT MOVIE. In fact, I heart all the movies you put. I can't believe you hadn't seen Love Actually before. It is one of my favorite movies ever. I'm glad you've finally seen it though.
Post a Comment