Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Beginnings of the Summer 2010 Garden

One of the most magical things about Marshfield is how in summertime it turns into the Shire, between the gardens, the farmers' market, and all the festivals...it has me excited for Summer 2010. And I especially love the garden. Growing up, us wee Haws children always had a semblance of a garden, but rarely did anything grow. But somehow when the Haws folks moved, Bobby the Republican and everyone else in the family grew a green thumb and started planting and actually growing stuff everywhere. It is especially tender to see ole Bobby the Republican out in his garden every summer evening fussing over his tomatoes and zucchini.
He has started his garden this year in our living room with this indoor plastic greenhouse. Every morning he takes all his potted plants out onto the back porch to get some sunlight, and then in the evening he carefully brings them back inside. The greenhouse is an eyesore, but it is very precious to see the old guy worrying about his plants.
A week and a half ago Logan and Bobby built a planter box under Mom's window and last night they planted impatiens, which I love... mostly because they were the flowers we always planted in the yard when we were kids.

Tonight I am planning to plants from flowers in pots for the front porch. And in a week or two I am planting sunflowers all over the property. Hooray for summer!

No comments: