Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Hair That Rocked a Small Town

To the left is me in 2008. I was going through a phase where I dyed my hair a new color every month. And not just various shades of brown. Platinum blonde to jet black to red...there was even a pink in there at one point. It was like ADD for appearances. Now I have transitioned to changing up my facial hair. Maybe in 2011 I will start some new form of appearance ADD.

Anyways.

My hair was platinum blonde. It took a whole heap of bleach, many hours of pain, and weeks of using chemical s daily to keep it that way. Unlike the rest of the world that goes dark in winter, I feel a need to have my hair match the snow that had begun falling. Plus, I thought I looked pretty snazzy with blonde hair. My coworker Jana just said I looked uber-gay...but I think she means it in the way I don't want to be considered.

Fast forward to this week when I had to go in to get new glasses. My old ones are bent and scratched from dropping a box on my face. Now mind you, I never go into this eye glass place. Ever. Yet, as the eye-lady-assistant-person was testing my eyes, she pauses and says she knows me.

I usually get this because I manage one of the few restaurants in town. However, she said that wasn't it. She kept looking at me strangely and then asked "You had that platinum blonde hair last time you were here."

And it was true. The last time I had my eyes checked was almost exactly two years ago when I had my platinum blonde hair. Now Marshfield, Wisconsin may be a small town, but it is big enough that I didn't expect for such a random interaction to be remembered.

But apparently my hair was just that amazing. Yeah, I know. It was beautiful.

Anyways, it makes me laugh. At work the subject of my blonde days come up from time to time...and the handful of staff that is still around from those days discuss fondly, and sometimes not so fondly, of it and its wonder. It was truly the hair that will be remembered for years to come in this hick town.

1 comment:

Stacie Lou said...

HAHAHAHA! I can't believ she remembered that. Oh Marshfield.